Thursday, July 17, 2008

Fetish for Smoked Salmon

Smoked salmon is a preparation of salmon, typically a fillet that has been cured and then hot or cold smoked. Due to its moderately high price, smoked salmon is considered a delicacy.
wikipedia

When i dine out at cafe or bistros, a smoked salmon sandwich is none other than than my ideal choice. The sharp sweet-salty taste coupled with fresh toasted bread makes it an instant hit with my tastebuds.
I'm a huge fan of bread and salmon.

Making a good home-made rendition is unfortunately not as easy as i thought. Resturants would either take in the ones of freshest quality or smoke their own to lower costs, which ensures a controlled taste and texture of the product. However, packaged smoked salmon purchased from supermarkets usually come dull or not suited to individual liking (some with unbelievable sodium levels!). I can never get the soft, smooth, tender ones from my dine-out sandwiches.

A couple of weeks ago, i came across a pack of Finest Scottish Oak Smoked Salmon from Giant at $10.90 (for 100 grams). Using an uncommon oakwood smoke, the pretty orange shade looked far more promising than the rest.

i decided to invest my chance.


Smoked Salmon Sandwich, arugula tomatoes & dill

My expectations lifted on first touch. Finally, something soft and delicate out of that processed packet. To savour the original flavour, i kept my sandwich simple with just arugula, tomatoes and a light sprinkle of dill weeds. Lemon by the side.

I took one bite, then two. And towards the end, i was struggling with swallowing those slices. It met head-on with my sodium intake limit and worse, beared a sort of fishy flavour. Bummer. Seems like nothing makes the cut.

I will still keep a vigil lookout for any new brands on the rise, but for now... grabbing my salmon outside would best satisfy the cravings.

Lookout for my top 10 smoked salmon sandwiches... soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin